Oswestry Golf Club was conceived at an informal meeting convened by Mr GS Tovey of
Lloyds Bank in February 1903 and held in his home. At least 17 gentlemen listed by
name were in attendance and letters of support had been received from 23 other gentlemen
and one lady.
Under the chairmanship of Mr Tovey, the meeting agreed that Llanymynech Hill was
a suitable course subject to satisfactory arrangements being made with a Major Bull
and a Mr Moon. Those present were requested to make it widely known that a golf club
was to be formed and to provide the names of those interested for the purpose of
calling a general meeting.
The official foundation date of Oswestry Golf Club is recorded as 20th March 1903
in the The Golfing Annual Vol. XVII 1903-04, London.
No information has come to light as to who designed or laid out the original course
Oswestry Golf Club moved to its present home at Aston Park in 1931 Oswestry GC are
the first club in the Shropshire & Herefordshire Union and one of only four clubs
Nationally to be recognised as a high achiever by EGU/ELGA and as such have been
awarded Gold Star Clubmark Status.
Oswestry Golf Club offers a warm and friendly welcome to all visitors, whether an
Individual, Small Group, Society, Captain’s Away Day or Corporate Golf Day.
Set in mature parkland, the course is well suited to players of all abilities, it
was designed by James Braid, who is renowned for his two tier greens. With good tees,
beautiful fairways and quality greens Oswestry, with its excellent drainage is ideal
for all year round play.
The club has recently been granted the English Golf Union Environmental Award for
its work in improving the ecology of the course. The club also have both Golf Mark
and Club Mark accreditation, for their commitment to juniors & beginners in golf.